Objective Proficiency p 21. Key and Vocabulary

Ex 3
Possible answers
 a On the whole, I don’t have a great deal of opportunity to get away for a while from my desk. At my level in the company, I get very little holiday. However, given the chance and the choice, I’d go to Tahiti.
b Speaking personally, a round-the-world trip would be incredibly stimulating – just think of all the cultures and landscapes you would be able to sample.
c My main objective in life is to join the police force and become a super sleuth, a detective like my hero Sherlock Holmes. I think the salary is now much higher than it used to be and people generally have more respect for the police in my country than for many other professions.
d Given the problems that abound with recession, in my view your best chance is to get as well qualified as you possibly can.
e It’s my belief I’m not cut out to become an entrepreneur but I admire people who are. They seem
to have some sort of inner drive which pushes them on to obtain their objectives.
f Personally, I guess my main priority would be to make sure they were safe and happy, but also that they were able to mix socially with people from different backgrounds.

Exam spot
  • Aim at: E.g. The government is aiming at a 50% reduction in unemployment. They're aiming at training everybody by the end of the year.
  • Settle sb down: to become or make somebody become calm, less excited, etc. E.g. It always takes the class a while to settle down at the start of the lesson.
  • It's my belief that knowledge is power.
  • For my part I prefer to stay at home.
  • Speaking personally, I'd leave everything as it is.
  • On the whole I would rather prepare myself a healthy and more appetising meal. 
  • By and large: used when you are saying something that is generally, but not completely, true. E.g. By and large, I enjoyed my time at school. 
  • For the most part: mostly; usually. E.g. The contributors are, for the most part, professional scientists. For the most part, I would agree with you.
  • I'm undecided/ unsure. Undecided: not having made a decision about somebody/something. E.g. I'm still undecided (about) who to vote for. He was undecided as to what to do next.
  • I'm ambivalent about. Ambivalent (about/towards somebody/something): having or showing both good and bad feelings about somebody/something. E.g. She seems to feel ambivalent about her new job. 
  • I'm in two minds about. Be in two minds about something/about doing something: to be unable to decide what you think about somebody/something, or whether to do something or not. E.g. I was in two minds about the book (= I didn't know if I liked it or not). She's in two minds about accepting his invitation. I'm in two minds as to whether I would want to go there. For more idioms with mind click here.



Ex 4
Key 
Possible answers
a way 

How much do you weigh, now you’ve been on your diet?






b pairs
I love pears, but I can’t stand apples.




c meet 
Meat and two veg is still the standard English meal in some parts of the country.




d heir
The air is wonderfully clear in Majorca.

  • Heir to sth: a person who has the legal right to receive somebody's property, money or title when that person dies. E.g. To be heir to a large fortune.

e aisle 
I have never visited the Isle of Skye in Scotland.




f principal 
Some people put their principles before common sense.




g Grate
The new band that played last night were really great.

  • Grate sth: to rub food against a grater in order to cut it into small pieces. E.g. grated apple/carrot/cheese, etc. Grate the cheese and sprinkle it over the tomatoes.  

h mane 
We took what looked like the main road through the town, but still got lost.


  • Toss: To throw something lightly or carelessly. Sp. Tirar, lanzar. E.g. He tossed the ball to Anna. Toss your head/hair: to move your head/hair suddenly upwards. Sp. Sacudir. E.g. She just tossed her head and walked off. 
  • Mane: the long hair on the neck of a horse or a lion. Sp. Crin. E.g. The horse tossed its mane and neighed.
  • Neigh: /neɪ/ when a horse neighs it makes a long high sound. Sp. Relinchar. E.g. When the horse neighed, all the horses neighed.
i plaice  
This place is great for real Spanish tapas.
 

  • Plaice: /pleɪs/ a flat sea fish that is used for food. Sp. Platija. E.g. Plaice is my favourite fish but it is the hardest to find.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.