Close up p 7. Ideas Focus. Speaking



Discuss some questions about human behaviour. Draw on (use) your personal experiences. Try to challenge each other's opinions. Use expressions of agreement and disagreement. Try to justify and support your opinions with reasons and examples.

AGREEING:

• I agree with you on that completely.   

  • I couldn't agree more. 
  • You can say that again: I agree with you completely E.g. ‘He's in a bad mood today.’ ‘You can say that again!’

• I see what you mean. 
• I see your point. 
• Exactly. 
• Definitely. 
• That's absolutely right. 
• Absolutely! I'm with you 100 % on that. 
• Indeed! 
• That's very true. 
• That makes sense. 

AGREEING UP TO A POINT 
• I agree with you up to a point. 
 

  • I agree to a certain/some extent, but keep in mind that...

• I suppose you've got a point, but... 
• I see your point, but... 
• Your point is well taken, but ... 
• If you ask me (often used for giving a critical opinion afterwards) 
• To tell you the truth / To be honest,... 
• You're right, in a way, but we have to consider (other factors) ... 
• Although it's true that... we must remember that... 
• Despite your arguments, I still feel that... 
 

DISAGREEING 
• Surely you don't think that. 
• Where's the logic of that? 
• You can't honestly think that... 
• That goes against my better judgement because... 

against one's better judgement: contrary to what one feels to be wise or sensible. E.g. he persuaded me against my better judgement to join him.
 
• It just doesn't make sense to me. 
 

SAYING “NO” 
• Not exactly
/ɪɡˈzæktli/


Not really, no (rather than a plain “no”) E.g. –Do you like football? – Not really, no (instead of “noooo!”)


INTERRUPTING:

• I’m sorry to interrupt, but...
• Can I interrupt you just for a second (here)?
• Before you continue, (can I just say)...
• Before you go on,...
• Before you move on,...
• Can I / Could I (just) say something (here)?
• Can I / Could I come in (here/there)?
• Can I / Could I interrupt you (for a minute / moment / second)?
• I’d like to make a point here (if I can/ could / may / might)
• If I can / could / may / might (just) interrupt you (for just a minute / moment / second), I’d like to add/ say/ point that...
• If you will allow me (to say something / to speak for a second),...

REPHRASING EXPRESSIONS 

Sometimes we say things that other people don't understand, or we give the wrong impression. If you are asked to explain or clarify your idea, do not use the same expressions and / or phrases, try to reformulate them starting your answer using one of the following phrases:  
 

• What I meant to say was... 
• Let me rephrase that... 
• Let me put this another way... 
• Perhaps I'm not making myself clear... 
• The basic idea is... 
• One way of looking at it is... 
• Another way of looking at it is... 
• What I want to say is... 

 
ASKING FOR THE OTHER SPEAKER’S OPINION: 
• How do you feel about...? 
• What’s your take on...? 
• What do you reckon (informal)? 

  • I would like to have your opinion/view on this matter 

CHALLENGING A POINT 
• Do you think that's always the case? 
• Can you be sure about that? 
• Is there any way / evidence to prove that? 
• But that's not the point. 
• I don't see why you can say that. 
• But that doesn't take account of the fact that...  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.