On Screen p 53. It’s a dog’s life. Writing an article

Task description:

A monthly magazine about social issues has asked readers to send in articles on worthy causes. You decide to write an article in which you describe a charity you support, explain how and why you support it, and assess its importance for the community.


What does it (1)__________ to make a huge difference in someone’s life? Would you be (2)__________________ to learn that all you need is a friendly pet and few hours a week?
But let me back (3)_______________ a bit. When my elderly neighbour moved (4)_____________ aged care, I decided to visit her one Sunday. I wasn’t sure (5)_____________ to expect: Would she feel depressed at having to leave her own home?
I needn’t have (6)_____________. An amazing charity called Pet Set had taken care of that. Sitting by her (7)___________ was a big white English Bulldog, Winston. It was Winston’s job to offer companionship to the elderly residents, and this he (8)______________with great success. Apparently, Winston visited three times a week and (9)__________ everyone’s spirits. Speaking with his owner, I learned that Pet Set volunteers take their good-natured dogs to places like aged care facilities and hospitals to (10)__________ improve the wellbeing of residents and patients.
‘What a great idea!’ I thought. Wanting to take part, but not (11)___________ a pet, I offered my time (12)_______________ an administration officer. Twice a week, I work the phones and organise the volunteers. Knowing that I’m doing something (13)______________ with my time is important to me. Getting to know the dogs and seeing the joy they bring is an (14)_____________ bonus.
I constantly hear heart-warming stories resulting (15)__________ these visits. For the elderly residents who have experienced the trauma of giving (16)______________ their own beloved pets, a regular visit from a friendly dog does (17)_____________ for their morale and gives them something to look forward to. (18)_____________ for the dogs, they love the attention and the treats they get!
Don’t think twice about it. I encourage anyone who has spare time and a placid pooch to enquire about getting involved. (19)__________ if, like me, you don’t have a pet, there are ways you can help. Look (20)______________ it – you won’t regret it



KEY



1. take



2. surprised



3. up



4. into



5. what



6. worried



7. side



8. did



9. raised/ lifted



10. help



11. having



12. as



13. worthwhile



14. added



15. from



16. up



17. wonders



18. As



19. Even



20. into

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.