On Screen p 40. Progress Check

 Do Ex 3

dare expressing challenge is followed by to-infinitive: dare somebody to do something

E.g. 

They dared Ed to steal a bottle of his father’s whiskey

 

DARE:

1. He didn’t dare ____________ (SAY) what he thought.

 

KEY

 

(to) say

dare: to be brave enough to do something:  

E.g.

dare (to) do something

They don't dare (to) ask 

 

2. I daren’t _______________ (TELL) her the truth.

 

KEY

 

tell 

 

When used like a modal verb is followed by an infinitive without to 

E.g.

They daren't ask for any more money. 

 

3. Don't you dare ___________ (GO) to Paris without me!

 

KEY

 

go

dare expressing threats, warning, anger, ... is followed by infinitive without to. 

E.g.

Don’t you dare talk to me like that!

Don't you dare say anything to anybody.

 

4. How dare you _____________ (ACCUSE) me of lying!

 

KEY

 

accuse

dare expressing threats, warning, anger, ... is followed by infinitive without to.  

How dare you make fun of me like that! 

How dare you talk to me like that?

 

5. Some of the older boys had dared him _________________ (DO) it. 

 

KEY

 

to do

dare expressing challenge is followed by to-infinitive: dare somebody to do something

E.g. 

They dared Ed to steal a bottle of his father’s whiskey

So jump, then. I dare you.

 

Ex 4

pick someone’s brain/-s to ask someone's advice about a subject the person knows a lot about.

E.g.

Can I pick your brain about how you got rid of those weeds? 

I'd love to pick your brains about computers

I wanted to pick your brains about this idea I’ve had.

Can I pick your brain for a minute? Sp. ¿Puedo hacerte unas preguntas? / ¿Puedo consultarte algo?

 

Do Ex 5

slip your mind ​if something slips your mind, you forget it or forget to do it.    

E.g.  I’m sorry I didn’t tell you. It completely slipped my mind.

 

oversight

the fact of making a mistake because you forget to do something or you do not notice something. Sp descuido, omisión.

E.g.

I didn't mean to leave her name off the list; it was an oversight.     

You can never entirely eliminate human error and oversight

candour: /ˈkændə(r)/ the quality of saying what you think openly and honestly. Frankness.

E.g.

"I don't trust him," he said in a rare moment of candour

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.