On Screen p 35. Letter in favour of social media. Cloze

Dear Sir/Madam,

I would like to give my views (1)___________ the benefits of social media. Many articles and research papers have been written on the adverse (2)__________ of the medium, but I believe there are a number of positive aspects to (3)____________ use.
Personally, I use social media to keep in touch with friends and family who live far away. I enjoy receiving their news and updates (4)____________ it brings me closer to them (5)__________ the distance that separates us. In (6)______________, social media has (7)___________ me to make contact with long-lost friends from school. Being able to reconnect with an old friend is a wonderful thing, and I have social media to (8)___________ for it.
(9)_____________ it not for social media, many people who live in isolation would be cut (10)___________ from the rest of society. Those who are house-bound (11)_________ to illness or family circumstances need an outlet, and social media (12)____________ this. They can stay in contact with friends or family elsewhere, or (13)_________ use social media as a way to have some harmless fun and break up the boredom or drudgery of their lives. Going (14)__________, what I see is a continued role of social media in my life. As I plan to travel extensively in the future, social media will enable me to keep my family informed of my movements, and share with them the places that I intend to visit. Social media will also play a role in my career once I complete my studies and enter the (15)_____________.
Social media is unparalleled as a means of staying in touch with loved ones, and reestablishing contact with friends from the past. What is more, it is a godsend for the isolated and lonely. It serves a very useful purpose as (16)____________ as it doesn’t become the epicentre of one’s existence.

Yours (17)______________,

Jane Barkin



KEY
1. on 



2. effects



3. its



4. as/ since/ because/ for



5. despite



6. addition



7. enabled



8. thank



9. Were



10. off



11. due 



12. provides



13. even



14. forward
going forward: from this point on into the future.



15. workforce 



16. long 



17. faithfully


 
Dear Sir,

I would like to give my views on the benefits of social media. Many articles and research papers have been written on the adverse effects of the medium, but I believe there are a number of positive aspects to its use.
Personally, I use social media to keep in touch with friends and family who live far away. I enjoy receiving their news and updates as it brings me closer to them despite the distance that separates us. In addition, social media has enabled me to make contact with long-lost friends from school. Being able to reconnect with an old friend is a wonderful thing, and I have social media to thank for it.
Were it not for social media, many people who live in isolation would be cut off from the rest of society. Those who are house-bound due to illness or family circumstances need an outlet, and social media provides this. They can stay in contact with friends or family elsewhere, or even use social media as a way to have some harmless fun and break up the boredom or drudgery of their lives. Going forward, what I see is a continued role of social media in my life. As I plan to travel extensively in the future, social media will enable me to keep my family informed of my movements, and share with them the places that I intend to visit. Social media will also play a role in my career once I complete my studies and enter the workforce.
Social media is unparalleled as a means of staying in touch with loved ones, and reestablishing contact with friends from the past. What is more, it is a godsend for the isolated and lonely. It serves a very useful purpose as long as it doesn’t become the epicentre of one’s existence.

Yours faithfully,

Jane Barkin

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.