On Screen WB 1a p 5. Reading

Vocabulary

spiral out of control: if a situation spirals out of control, it gets worse, more violent etc in a way that cannot be controlled. E.g. Crime has spiralled out of control.   

gush: to express your praise, pleasure etc in a way that other people think is too strong. To express admiration or pleasure with so much enthusiasm that people think you are not sincere. E.g. Popular magazines are always gushing about his looks. ‘I simply loved your book, ’ she gushed. "You're just so talented!" she gushed.

bland:
not having a strong taste and therefore not very interesting to eat. 

E.g.
a rather bland diet of soup, fish and bread
This sauce is rather bland.

freak out: to become very anxious, upset, or afraid, or make someone very anxious, upset, or afraid. E.g. She just freaked out when she saw the police.  Meeting my dad again after all these years really freaked me out. People just freaked out when they heard the news. The whole idea freaked me out.

pick out: to choose somebody/something carefully from a group of people or things. Synonym: select. E.g.      

She was picked out from dozens of applicants for the job.     

He picked out the ripest peach for me.     

He was picked out as the best player.

hunchback: a person who has a back with a large, round lump (= raised area) on it, either because of illness or old age, or the lump itself. E.g. I used to walk with a hunchback and stare at my feet.

hold up: to support someone or something so that they do not fall down. Stand confidently. E.g.  Her legs were almost too shaky to hold her up. I walk with confidence now. I hold myself up, and look straight ahead.

squash: to control or ignore an emotion. SYN suppress. E.g.  She felt anger rising but quickly squashed it. I no longer try and squash my personality down.

rid yourself of somebody/something
​(formal) to make yourself free from somebody/something that is annoying you or causing you a problem. E.g. to rid yourself of guilt. He wanted to rid himself of the burden of the secret.

 

Do Ex 3

Do Ex 4                                        

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.