Objective Proficiency p 26. Tanya in Court. Extra Listening




Before listening
GINA YASHERE – TANYA (LENNY HENRY SHOW) AT CLAPTON FRIED CHICKEN: JURY SERVICE


1.    What does Jury service involve?

2.    What’s the Witness Protection Scheme?

3.    What do you do if you “mess with” someone?

4.    What’s a “drink up”?

5.    In the language of hairdressing, what’s a “weave”?

6.    Where’s Hackney? What is it like?

7.    How are you feeling if you’re “vexed” or “proper vexed”? (teenspeak)

8.    What kind of programme is Tricia?

9.    What’s Primark?

10. If you do something “big time”, how do you do it?

11. How are you feeling if you are “mashed”? (teenspeak)

12. Name two fashion designers whose clothes a chav might covet /ˈkʌvət/ (want very much).

Chav: a young working-class person, often without a high level of education, who follows a particular fashion.

13. If you have to appear in court and you “go down” what happens? (colloquial)

14. Match the name to the person. What do you know about them?
50 Cent            Fatman Scoop          Usher             Phil Mitchell                  Lemar







KEY
GINA YASHERE – TANYA (LENNY HENRY SHOW)
AT CLAPTON FRIED CHICKEN: JURY SERVICE


1.    What does Jury service involve?

Jury duty or jury service is service as a juror in a legal proceeding.

2.    What’s the Witness Protection Scheme?

Witness protection is protection of a threatened witness or any person involved in the justice system, including defendants and other clients, before, during and after a trial, usually by police. While a witness may only require protection until the conclusion of a trial, some witnesses are provided with a new identity and may live out the rest of their lives under government protection.

3.    What do you do if you “mess with” someone?

Mess with someone to make someone angry, or to argue with them. Tease. E.g. I wouldn't mess with her if I were you.





4.    What’s a “drink up”?

A small get together which resembles a party but not as loud (usually to finish the drinks from a previous bigger party). Only drinks supplied. E.g. Are you going to the drink up on Saturday night?



5.    In the language of hairdressing, what’s a “weave”?

a hairstyle created by weaving pieces of real or artificial hair into a person’s existing hair, typically in order to increase its length or thickness: trailers show him with dyed blond hair and, in one scene, a flowing blond weave.

hair extensions (= pieces of artificial hair that are added to your hair to make it longer)

6.    Where’s Hackney? What is it like?

The London Borough of Hackney is a London borough of North East London and forms part of Inner London.  The Borough of Hackney has recently attracted some office development and the land value has risen. Much of Hackney maintains its inner-city character and in some places large housing estates now sit side-by-side with gated communities.



7.    How are you feeling if you’re “vexed” or “proper vexed”? (teenspeak)

Vexed (at/ with somebody/ something) upset, annoyed, frustrated, or worried: I’m very vexed with you!

Proper: thoroughly, completely, very much. E.g.  I had been fooled good and proper.

8.    What kind of programme is Tricia?

It is a British talk show hosted by Trisha Goddard.

9.    What’s Primark?

Primark is a clothing retailer that sells very cheap clothes using simple designs and fabrics in the most popular sizes.

10. If you do something “big time”, how do you do it?

On a large scale; to a great extent. E.g This time they've messed up big time!

11. How are you feeling if you are “mashed”? (teenspeak)

Drunk. E.g. Crazy Night Last Night, I Got So Mashed.

12. Name two fashion designers whose clothes a chav might covet /ˈkʌvət/.

Chav: a young working-class person, often without a high level of education, who follows a particular fashion.

Covet: to want something very much

The stereotype of a chav includes wearing branded designer sportswear. Stereotypical attire might be accompanied by some form of gold jewellery.

Burberry /ˈbɜːbəri/ Kappa / ˈkæp ə/ Adidas / ˈæd ɪ dæs/ Chanel / ʃə ˈnel/  Prada / ˈprɑːd ə/ Gucci / ˈɡuːtʃ i/ Reebok / ˈriː bɒk/



13.  If you have to appear in court and you “go down” what happens? (colloquial)

(UK slang) to be put in prison. E.g. She went down for three years for her part in the robbery.



14. Match the name to the person. What do you know about them?

50 Cent (4)      Fatman Scoop (5)          Usher (1)            Phil Mitchell (3)                 Lemar(2)

Usher: American R&B singer and actor.
Lemar: English R&B recording artist and record producer.
Phil Mitchell: Aggressive character in Eastenders
50 Cent: is an American rapper, entrepreneur, investor, and actor.
Fatman Scoop: is an American hip hop promoter and radio personality famed for his on-stage rough, raw, loud voice.



Objective Proficiency p 26. Tanya in Court. Extra Listening
Gina Yashere – Tanya (Lenny Henry Show) at Clapton Fried Chicken: Jury Service
As you listen to Tanya (T) talk about her jury service, complete the transcript. (G= Guy on the till).
T: (pushing to the front of the queue) Yeah, ______________. I want to make a complaint. I found a _________ in my burger and I want another one.
G: Alright. Just ________/______/___________, will you? 
T: And I want extra fries and a diet coke to compensate for my ________ _________.
G: Where is it?
T: I was ____________ and I ______/_____!
G: That’s the ninth time you’ve done this!
T: I know, and I’ve got ______/______/________ (sniggers). See you tomorrow… (addresses audience). I got a letter the other day, saying that I _____/____/______ to court. I rang them up and was like, “Look, it fell into my ______! I was going to take it _______!” They was like, “No, we’re calling you for Jury service” and I was like, “I knew that. I was just __________/_________ you.”. The man on the phone said that I had to go the following Monday and I was like, “Impossible bruv, I’m going to Leesha’s party on Saturday, then a _________/______ on Sunday, getting my hair done on Monday and there’s no way I’m coming to court with half a ___________!” He said that if I didn’t go I could be arrested. Arrested? Me?! I ain’t going no prison. With my ________/________ looks, I could end up feeding grapes to some bird that looks like _________/__________. I said, “Listen, I’m willing to compromise. Why don’t you lot just get on with it, and I’ll just come back later on in the week in time for the _________?” and you know what? ‘E said no, I have to be there to hear evidence. I said to him, “______/_______/_______/______/_______. I know most of them boys in ‘Ackney. Why don’t you tell me who it was and I’ll tell you _____/_______/______/_____/______/________.” But he wouldn’t tell me and I was getting _________/__________. I was like, “Look, you think I’m going to be catching a bus at 7 in the morning and _______/___________ so that I can spend a whole day in a room full of people who look like they got dressed together ____/_________. ____/______/_______/_______!!!!!!!

Anyway, I can’t just take time of Netto like that. I might lose my job on the till. Then when I go back they’ll stick me in the freezer section and that ______/_______/______/_______/_________. I was like, “Listen, you’re gonna have to compensate me ________/________. You get me? What about this Witness Protection thing?” I hear they give you a three-bedroom house, a car and a ‘usband. I said to ‘im, “I’ll take 50 Cent. If you aint got ________ else, I’ll take ________!” He said I wouldn’t get that in this case. That I’d probably get a sandwich and £7 a day expenses”, and I said, “I’ll see you Monday.”
So I went down the court, yeah? And I started my Jury Service, and I was _______/__________ from the weekend, so I went upset when the ______ told me to take off  _______/___________. I don’t know why the call him “_________”. He looked more like Fatman Scoop.
Anyway, I’m not allowed to discuss the case _________/__________. But I’ll tell you. This guy, Nathan, is accused of robbing a warehouse and stealing a truckload of _________/_________. I am very glad that I turned up to carry out my civic duty for Queen and country (salutes)… especially as half the stuff _______/______/_________ yet and Nathan has given me a load of Gucci garments to wear while I deliberate my verdict. I’m gonna look _________/___________ when I go in next week and find him guilty! What? You thought I was gonna let him off just ‘cos he gave me this? I asked him for _______ and he _____/_____/______. That man is ________/__________. But not till he gets me some Prada boots, you get me? ‘Cos, you know, I’m not _______________!   


KEY

Objective Proficiency p 20. Tanya in Court. Extra Listening
Gina Yashere – Tanya (Lenny Henry Show) at Clapton Fried Chicken: Jury Service

As you listen to Tanya (T) talk about her jury service, complete the transcript. (G= Guy on the till).

T: (pushing to the front of the queue) Yeah, _whatever_. I want to make a complaint. I found a ___nail______ in my burger and I want another one.
G: Alright. Just __keep______/__it____/______down_____, will you? 
T: And I want extra fries and a diet coke to compensate for my _emotional___ ____trauma /ˈtrɔːmə/_.
G: Where is it?
T: I was __hungry (‘ungry)___ and I __ate____/__it___!
G: That’s the ninth time you’ve done this!
T: I know, and I’ve got _one _____/_nail ___/__left_ (sniggers)
Snigger: to laugh in a quiet unpleasant way. What are you sniggering at?
See you tomorrow… (addresses audience). I got a letter the other day, saying that I had (‘ad)/ _to___/___go___ to court. I rang them up and was like, “Look, it fell into my _bag_____! I was going to take it __back_____!” They was like, “No, we’re calling you for Jury service” and I was like, “I knew that. I was just __messing________/__with_______ you.”. The man on the phone said that I had to go the following Monday and I was like, “Impossible bruv, I’m going to Leesha’s party on Saturday, then a __drink_______/__up____ on Sunday, getting my hair done on Monday and there’s no way I’m coming to court with half a _weave__________!” He said that if I didn’t go I could be arrested. Arrested? Me?! I ain’t going no prison. With my _pretty_______/__girl______ looks, I could end up feeding grapes to some bird that looks like __Phil_______/___Mitchell_______.
Grapes (slang) marijuana /ˌmærɪˈwɑːnə/
Bird: (informal) a person of a particular type, especially somebody who is strange or unusual in some way. Sp. Bicho. E.g. a wise old bird. She is that rare bird: a politician with a social conscience.
 I said, “Listen, I’m willing to compromise. Why don’t you lot just get on with it (continue), and I’ll just come back later on in the week in time for the __verdict_______?” and you know what? ‘E (he) said no, I have to be there to hear evidence. I said to him, “__I__/ _don’t___/_need___/__no____/__evidence_____. I know most of them boys in ‘Ackney (Hackney). Why don’t you tell me who it was and I’ll tell you __if___/__he_____/_(has) done___/_it____/___or___/__not______.” But he wouldn’t tell me and I was getting _proper__/___vexed____. I was like, “Look, you think I’m going to be catching a bus at 7 in the morning and _miss______/___Tricia________ so that I can spend a whole day in a room full of people who look like they got dressed together _in___/_Primark____. _I___/ __don’t____/ __think_____/ ___so____!!!!!!!

Anyway, I can’t just take time of Netto like that.
Netto: a Danish discount supermarket operating in several European countries. In the UK the supermarkets were sold to Asda in 2011. They had very cheap prices.
 I might lose my job on the till. Then when I go back they’ll stick me in the freezer section and that _ain’t__/___good_/__for_/__my__/__nail__. I was like, “Listen, you’re gonna have to compensate me __big___/__time___. You get me? What about this Witness Protection thing?” I hear they give you a three-bedroom house, a car and a ‘usband (husband). I said to ‘im, “I’ll take 50 Cent. If you aint got _nothing____ else, I’ll take _Lemar___!” He said I wouldn’t get that in this case. That I’d probably get a sandwich and £7 a day expenses”, and I said, “I’ll see you Monday.”

So I went down the court, yeah? And I started my Jury Service, and I was _proper___/__mashed_____ from the weekend, so I went upset when the _usher_____ told me to take off my_/_sunglasses_.
Usher: an official who has special responsibilities in court, for example allowing people in and out of the court
 I don’t know why the call him “_Usher__”. He looked more like Fatman Scoop.
Anyway, I’m not allowed to discuss the case ___with______/___nobody_______. But I’ll tell you. This guy, Nathan, is accused of robbing a warehouse and stealing a truckload of _designer__/_gear__.
Truckload: (of somebody/something) the amount of somebody/ something that fills a truck (often used to express the fact that an amount is large). E:g. a truckload of soldiers. The first truckloads of food arrived at the refugee camp today. Their new album is selling by the truckload. The company is making truckloads (= a lot) of money.
Gear: / ɡɪə(r)/ clothes and equipment
I am very glad that I turned up to carry out my civic duty for Queen and country (salutes)…
Civic: connected with the people who live in a town or city. Sp. Cívico. E.g. a sense of civic pride (= pride that people feel for their town or city) civic duties/ responsibilities.
especially as half the stuff __ain’t_____/__been____/__found_______ yet and Nathan has given me a load of Gucci garments to wear while I deliberate my verdict. I’m gonna look __proper__/ _stunning_ when I go in next week and find him guilty! What? You thought I was gonna let him off just ‘cos he gave me this? I asked him for ___red____ and he _gave__/_me__/_blue_. That man is _going_/_down___. But not till he gets me some Prada boots, you get me? ‘Cos, you know, I’m not __stupid_____!   



 
obnoxious: /
əbˈnɒkʃəs/ extremely unpleasant, especially in a way that offends people. offensive. E.g.
obnoxious behaviour. A thoroughly obnoxious little man.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.