On Screen p 29. Matilda. Extra listening





When I grow up I will be tall enough to 1________________  to climb the trees
I will be smart enough to answer all the questions that you need to know the 2____________ before you're grown up.
I will eat 3____________ every day.
I will watch cartoons until my eyes 4_________________.
I will be strong enough to carry all the heavy things you have 5_____________ around with you.
I will have 6______________ every day.
And I'll play with things that Mum 7_________________ that Mums don't think are fun.
I will spend all day just lying in the sun but I 8_____________ 'cause I'll be all grown-up!
Just because you find that life's not fair, it doesn't mean that you just have to 9______________ .
If you always 10_________________________ and 11________________, nothing will change!
If I think the ending is 12_____________ already, I might as well be saying "I think that it's OK!"
And that's not right! And if it's not right, you have to put it right.
In the 13 ________________, there's a tiny revolt.
The 14__________ of a war in the 15___________ of a floorboard. A storm can begin with the 16____________ of a wing.
The tiniest 17_____________ packs the 18 _______________ sting. 
Every day starts with the 19_____________of a clock. All escapes start with the 20_________ of a lock. 
If you're 21__________ in your story  and want to get out, you don't have to cry; you don't have to shout.
Even if you're little, you can do a lot, you mustn’t let a little thing like 'little' stop you.
If you sit around and let them get 22_____________, you won’t change a thing.
But nobody else is gonna put it right for me. Nobody but me is gonna change my story.
Sometimes you have to be a little bit 23________________.

KEY
When I grow up
I will be tall enough to 1. reach the branches
that I need to reach to climb the trees
you get to climb when you're grown up.
(Ria and Teerath)
And when I grow up
I will be smart enough to answer all
the questions that you need to know
the 2. answers to before you're grown up.
(Me and Taya)
And when I grow up
I will eat 3. sweets every day
on the way to work and I
will go to bed late every night!
(Me and Taya)
And I will wake up
when the sun comes up and I
will watch cartoons until my eyes 4. go square
and I won't care 'cause I'll be all grown up!
(ALL)
When I grow up!
When I grow up, when I grow up
(When I grow up)
I will be strong enough to carry all
the heavy things you have 5. to haul
around with you when you're a grown-up!

haul: /hɔːl/ to pull something/somebody with a lot of effort. E.g. He reached down and hauled Liz up onto the wall. The car was hauled out of the river.
 
And when I grow up, when I grow up
(When I grow up)
I will be brave enough to fight the creatures
that you have to fight beneath the bed
each night to be a grown-up!
And when I grow up
(When I grow up)
I will have 6. treats every day.

treat: something very pleasant and enjoyable, especially something that you give somebody or do for them. E.g. We took the kids to the zoo as a special treat. You've never been to this area before? Then you're in for a real treat. When I was young chocolate was a treat. Let's go out for lunch— my treat (= I will pay).

And I'll play with things that Mum 7 pretends
that Mums don't think are fun.
And I will wake up
when the sun comes up and I
will spend all day just lying in the sun
but I 8 won't burn 'cause I'll be all grown-up!
When I grow up!
When I grow up
I will be brave enough to fight the creatures
that you have to fight beneath the bed
each night to be a grown-up!
(Me and Taya)
(When I grow up)
(Ria and Teerath)
Just because you find that life's not fair, it
doesn't mean that you just have to 9 grin and bear it.

grin and bear it: (only used as an infinitive and in orders) to accept pain, disappointment or a difficult situation without complaining. E.g. There's nothing we can do about it. We'll just have to grin and bear it.

If you always 10 take it on the chin and 11 wear it
nothing will change!

take something on the chin: (informal) to accept a difficult or unpleasant situation without complaining, trying to make excuses, etc. E.g. In this business, you have to learn to take criticism on the chin.

wear something (British English, informal) to accept or allow something, especially something that you do not approve of.

(ria and teerath)
(When I grow up)
(me and taya)
Just because I find myself in this story,
It doesn't mean that everything is written for me.
If I think the ending is 12 fixed already,
I might as well be saying
I think that it's OK!
And that's not right!
And if it's not right, 
you have to put it right.
 In the 13 slip of a bolt
there's a tiny revolt.
  
Bolt: A bolt is a device used to secure a door or a gate.  It is a metal bar that is moved laterally into or out of a type of holder.
To open the device, the bolt (the metal bar) is moved out of the holder.  This is often referred to as "slipping the bolt" Sp. deslizar el cerrojo.  Unless the device is old or rusted, the bolt usually moves easily, so "the slip of a bolt" can be taken to mean a quick movement that sets something in action.
 

The 14 seed of a war 


in the 15 creak of a floorboard.
 A storm can begin

with the 16 flap of a wing.
flap: a quick often noisy movement of something up and down or from side to side. With a flap of its wings, the bird was gone. The flap of the sails

The tiniest 17 mite 
mite: a very small creature like a spider that lives on plants, animals, carpets, etc. E.g. house dust mites.
 
packs the 18 mightiest sting. 

Every day starts with the 19 tick of a clock.
tick: (also ticking) a short, light, regularly repeated sound, especially that of a clock or watch. E.g. The only sound was the soft tick of the clock.

All escapes start with the 20 click of a lock. 
click: a short sharp soundThe door closed with a click.
 
If you're 21 stuck in your story 
and want to get out,
you don't have to cry; 
you don't have to shout.


Even if you're little, 
you can do a lot, 
you mustn’t let a little thing like 'little' stop you.
If you sit around and let them get 22 on top,
you won’t change a thing.
Just because you find that life's not fair, 
it doesn’t mean that you just have to grin and bear it.
If you always take it on the chin and wear it, 
you might as well be saying you think that it's OK.
And that's not right. 
And if it's not right, 
you have to put it right.

But nobody else is gonna put it right for me. 
Nobody but me is gonna change my story.
Sometimes you have to be a little bit 23 naughty.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.