On Screen p 28. Verb Patterns and Reporting verbs. Extra Key Word Transformations. Exercise 7

1. "I really wish I hadn't left the cake next to the radiator," he said.
REGRETTED
He ________________________ the cake next to the radiator.
2. "It's not a good idea to wear a pink shirt with your green trousers," she told me
ADVISED
She ______________________________a pink shirt with my green trousers.
3. "There's no way I'm going to sing karaoke with you," he said to his mother.
REFUSED
He _________________________karaoke with his mother.
4. "Why don't you ask questions so that I can give my voice a rest?," he said.
SUGGESTED
He _________________________ so that he could give his voice a rest.
5. "Believe it or not, I can name the capital city of every country in the world," he said.
CLAIMED
He____________________________ name the capital city of every country in the world.
6. "Don't forget to hand in your essay next Friday," she told me.
REMINDED
She____________________________ my essay (on) the following Friday.
7. "The government has failed to keep its promise to reduce inflation," she said.
ACCUSED
She ___________________________ to keep its promise to reduce inflation.
8. "I certainly didn't eat your chocolates," she told him.
DENIED
She _________________________ chocolates.
9. "You'd better not carry too much money," she told me.
WARNED
She ________________________ too much money.
10. "I'll call the police if you don't leave now," she told him.
THREATENED
She _______________________ if he didn't leave.
11. "Congratulations! You passed your exam," he said to me.
CONGRATULATED
He _______________________ the exam.
12. "I stole the money," he said.
CONFESSED
He ____________________ the money.
13. "I want to see the manager," he said.
INSISTED
He____________________ the manager.



KEY
1. He regretted having left/leaving the cake next to the radiator.


2. She advised me not to wear/ advised (me) against wearing a pink shirt with my green trousers.



3. He refused to sing karaoke with his mother.



4. He suggested asking/(that) we (should) ask questions so that he could give his voice a rest.



5. He claimed to be able to/ claimed (that) he could name the capital city of every country in the world.



6. She reminded me to hand in/ that I had to hand in my essay (on) the following Friday.



7. She accused the government of failing to keep its promise to reduce inflation.



8. She denied eating/having eaten his chocolates.



9. She warned me not to carry too much money.



10. She threatened to call the police if he didn't leave.



11. He congratulated me on passing the exam.



12. He confessed to stealing/ that he had stolen the money.



13. He insisted on seeing the manager.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.