On Screen p 28. Gerund or Infinitive. Extra Grammar Exercise 3

1. I can't help _________ (wonder) why they decided to buy that awful house.
2. I must remember __________ (get) some stamps.
3. I didn't get round to ________ (phone) John yesterday- I was just too busy.
4. He gave up teaching and went on _____________ (become) a bet-selling author.
5. We appreciate your ___________ (agree) to come at such short notice.
6. I regret _______________ (inform) you that your application has been unsuccessful.
7. She stopped ____________ (laugh) and began ___________ (cry) instead.
8. I keep _____________ (forget) ______________ (buy) some stamps.
9. He bitterly regretted ever _____________ (mention) it.
10.
Receptionist: Would you mind _____________ (take) a seat? The doctor will see you at five.
Patient: Yes, I would mind! I object to ___________ (wait) over an hour to see the doctor! I'm used to ___________ (see) immediately! 
11.
Alan: I've attempted ___________ (get) my driving license ten times now but I haven't managed __________ (pass) the test. Is there any use ___________ (have) another try, do you think?
Sue: Have you considered ___________ (have) more lessons? And it might be a good idea __________ (change) your driving instructor. And I suggest ____________ (stop) when the traffic lights are red next time, too. 
12.
Bridget: I hate __________ (come) to these awful office parties. I can't stand ___________ (make) polite conversation and pretending ___________ (enjoy) myself.
Annie: Yes, I'm looking forward to ___________ (go) home. I'd much sooner __________ (be) in bed with a good book, and avoid ___________ (have) another late night. 



Key
1. wondering



2. to get



3. phoning



get round to something/ get around to something to find the time to do something. E.g. I meant to do the ironing but I didn't get round to it. get round/around to doing something I hope to get around to answering your letter next week.



4. to become
When followed by gerund, go on means to continue with the same activity. With an infinitive, it means to change to a different activity.

5. agreeing
If the subject of the main verb and the gerund are different, an object or possessive adjective is used 
appreciate doing something I don't appreciate being treated like a second-class citizen.  
appreciate somebody doing something We would appreciate you letting us know of any problems.
I really appreciate you/your helping me like this



6. to inform



7a. laughing



7b.  crying/ to cry



8a. forgetting 



8b. to buy 



9. having mentioned


10a. taking



10b. waiting


10c. being seen  



11a. to get



11b. to pass



11c. having



11d. having



11e. to change



11f. stopping



12a. coming



12b. making



12c. to enjoy



12d. going



12e. be



12f. having

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.