On Screen p 30. Listening

Do Ex 1a

Vocabulary

bolster

1 to help someone to feel better and more positive SYN boost. Sp dar apoyo.

E.g.

He is making a bold attempt to bolster the territory’s confidence.

2 to improve something SYN boost  

E.g. 

his efforts to bolster his career 

to bolster somebody’s confidence/courage/morale.

2d – Exercise 1c 

Script
Before you all leave for the day, I just wanted a moment to go over the arrangements for the training course. Now, some of you might be under the impression that this course is not within the remit of your role here but I assure you, it is relevant to each and every one of you. This department only works when we work together and as such we need to keep abreast of any developments in the field of every aspect of our business. So, even if the training is not directly applicable to your everyday tasks, it will assist you in the grand scheme of things. So, I expect all of you to give 100 percent on the day and ask that you keep an open mind.

remit: /ˈriːmɪt/ the area of activity over which a particular person or group has authority, control or influence. Sp área, jurisdicción.

E.g. 

Such decisions are outside the remit of this committee.     

In future, staff recruitment will fall within the remit of the division manager.     

 

in the (grand) scheme of things: considering everything. Sp. en un contexto amplio, en un plano global.

E.g.

In the scheme of things, having lots of money isn't as important as having friends. 

 

Do Ex 2b

Script

Extract 1
I know some of you are thinking ‘what’s the point of going to university anymore? The job market is so competitive, wouldn’t it be better to get my foot in the door as quickly as possible?’ Well, there is some truth in that. Depending what field you want to end up in, a degree might not be necessary. But, in my experience, studying a course in further education is about much more than simply attaining a qualification. It’s also about the life experience it offers. You’ll have encounters, episodes and relationships that will eventually shape who you are as an individual. At 18 it’s very difficult to state definitively who you are – sometimes that can take a lifetime – but further education will give you the time and the exposure to go some way to working it out. It will also improve your skill set and provide you with a broader base of contacts for future networking. Having said that, it is a big decision. You have to consider the cost of a course both in time and money before making that decision. You have to ask yourself, ‘What’s best for me?’ And the answer won’t always be university.
Extract 2
William: Mrs Hopkins, have you got a moment? I wanted to explain about yesterday.
Mrs Hopkins: OK. What have you got to say for yourself?
William: I wanted to apologise for missing the meeting with you. I had my times mixed up and when I realised my mistake it was too late. I know that’s not an excuse, but I felt it was important for me to explain and I was hoping we could arrange another meeting. I realise you’re very busy and this has been a waste of your valuable time and I fully understand if you don’t have another slot for me, but I feel that this meeting is important.
Mrs Hopkins: Thank you for your candour, William. I must admit I wasn’t best pleased by your failure to turn up, but you’re right, this is an important meeting. I suppose that’s why I was so surprised you didn’t show. What you decide to study next year will have a major impact on your options in the future.
William: So, can we arrange another meeting?
Mrs Hopkins: Mmm, yes, speak to my secretary to set it up.
William: Thank you so much, and I promise I won’t mess it up this time.

Extract 3
Richard: Are you all right, Laura? You don’t seem yourself today.
Laura: I know, Richard. I’m just worried about tomorrow. I got an interview for that position we talked about but I’m really nervous that I haven’t done anything like it in the past. I just hope they’ll overlook that because I really want it. I think it would be perfect for me and I truly believe I could be great at it.
Richard: Oh, you poor thing. I know interviews can be nerve-racking, and even though it’s easier said than done, the best thing for you would be to try to relax and get a good night’s sleep. You’re not going to give a very good impression if you’re tired and grumpy with huge bags under your eyes. Why don’t you watch your favourite film tonight? That might do the trick. And it’s a good idea to pick out your outfit before you go to bed so you won’t be panicking about what to wear in the morning. Good luck for tomorrow, and just remember, the interview is also for you to see if you like the look of the place. 

Vocabulary

get/have a/your foot in the door ​to manage to enter an organization, a field of business, etc. that could bring you success.

E.g. I always wanted to work in TV but it took me two years to get a foot in the door. 

candour: /ˈkændə(r)/ the quality of saying what you think openly and honestly.  Frankness.

E.g.

I don't trust him,’ he said in a rare moment of candour.


grumpy: easily annoyed; in a bad mood.

E.g.

Pay no attention to his moods—he’s just a grumpy old man.


do the trick ​(informal) to succeed in solving a problem or achieving a particular result. Sp resolver el problema, bastar, ser suficiente.

E.g.

I don't know what it was that did the trick, but I am definitely feeling much better.


pick somebody/something out: ​to choose somebody/something carefully from a group of people or things. Synonym: select.

E.g.

She was picked out from dozens of applicants for the job. 

He picked out the ripest peach for me. 

He was picked out as the best player.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.