On Screen p 28. Gerund or Infinitive. Extra Grammar Exercise 4

Complete the sentences with an appropriate verb form so that they are true for you.
1. I keep forgetting...
2. I am getting used ....
3. I have no intention...
4. It was my intention...
5. I wish I had the power...
6. I often have difficulty...
7. I really should make more effort...
8. My _______ (family member) has a tendency...
9. I don't regret my decision.....
10. This year I am planning to make an attempt...
11. When I was a child I was made...
12. I would never let my children...
13. I'd sooner...
14. There's little point...
15. It's no good...
16. I am interested...
17. I seldom get tired....
18. It was worth...
19. There's no use...
20. I'd rather...
21. I'd better...
22. I make...
23. I was delighted...
24. The greatest person ever...
25. I was the first person in my family...
26. _________ and I had an agreement never....
27. I had hopes... 
28. I joined this class in the expectation... 
29. I would like to have the ability... 
30. I would love to receive an invitation...
31. There's still time...
32. I've seen too many films like that...
33. I have got enough...
34. I have eaten too much...
35. I have little...
36. My proudest moment to date is...
37. I am sure...
38. I adapted remarkably well ....
39. It took me a while to adjust...
40. I am reluctant to admit...
41. I confess...
42. I haven’t got round... 
43. I strongly object...
44. I've been meaning...
45. Studying English at the EOI means...
46. I have no hesitation ...
47. I have no objection...
48. I have no interest...
49. I have no regrets...
50. I have no recollection...
51. I have no memory...
52. I have no alternative...
53. I had little choice...
54. I had no option...
55. I have no time...
KEY
1. I keep forgetting...to do sth (after forgetting)/ doing sth (before forgetting)



2. I am getting used ....to doing sth



3. I have no intention...of doing sth



4. It was my intention...to do sth



5. I wish I had the power...to do sth



6. I often have difficulty...(in) doing sth.



7. I really should make more effort...to do sth



8. My _______ (family member) has a tendency...to do sth



9. I don't regret my decision..... to do sth.



10. This year I am planning to make an attempt...to do sth




11. When I was a child I was made...to do sth



12. I would never let my children...do sth.



13. I'd sooner... do sth.



14. There's little point...(in) doing sth. (little purpose in doing sth. E.g. There's no point continuing you piano lessons, if your heart is not in it. There's no point in getting angry. There is no point in locking the barn door now that the horse has been stolen. There's no point in crying over spilled milk.)



15. It's no good...doing sth (it is not useful, it has no useful effect. E.g. It's no good trying to talk me out of leaving.)



16. I am interested...in becoming a member of your club.



17. I seldom get tired....of hearing about the intricacies and idiosyncrasies of the English language.



18. It was worth...doing this course



19. There's no use...worrying and losing sleep over the pandemic.



20. I'd rather...go to class than stay at home.



21. I'd better...learn more English grammar.



22.  I make...my students work hard.



23. I was delighted...to hear that you had had a baby.



24. The greatest person ever...to live/ have lived



25. I was the first person in my family...to study languages.



26. My partner and I had an agreement never... to talk about work at home.



27. I had hopes...  of becoming a ballet dancer. 



28. I joined this class in the expectation...of becoming a proficient English speaker. 



29. I would like to have the ability...to speak English like a native speaker. 




30. I would love to receive an invitation...to see Rafael perform.




31. There's still time...to learn more English expressions.




32. I've seen too many films like that...to be very impressed.




33. I have got enough...money to travel to Australia.




34. I have eaten too much... food to exercise.




35. I have little...time to do all the things I would like to do.




36. My proudest moment to date is...winning /having won a medal.



37. I am sure...to see you again sometime soon. (= I am certain to/ I am bound to)



38. I adapted remarkably well... to eating a limited diet, and I have lost a great deal of weight. 



39. It took me a while to adjust...to living alone. 




40. I am reluctant to admit... (to) being strict with my children. 



41. I confess...to having an admiration for some health workers. 



42. I haven’t got round... to unpacking from my holiday yet. 



43. I strongly object... to being charged for parking. 



44. I've been meaning... to write to you for ages.  
mean+ infinitive with to means intend.



45. Studying English at the EOI means...spending a lot of time learning new words and grammar structures.
Mean + gerund means involve.  



46. I have no hesitation... in recommending Mallorca to prospective tourists.



47. I have no objection... to staying at home instead of travelling abroad.



48. I have no interest... in going somewhere like Las Vegas.



49. I have no regrets...about spending too much money on my last holiday.



50. I have no recollection...of ever going to Formentera



51. I have no memory...of ever eating at McDonalds. 



52. I have no alternative...but to stay at home. 





53. I had little choice... but to cancel my holiday.  




54. I had no option... but to leave without my friends.  



55. I have no time... to study all these expressions. 
 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.