Objective Proficiency p 78. Vocabulary

Ex 1
KEY
a wearing



b to wear



c you to wear



d wearing/ to wear



e him to shave



f her wear
  • Platform shoes: a type of shoe with a high, thick sole.
P 183
  • Consider somebody/something to do something: E.g. He's generally considered to have the finest tenor voice in the country.
  • Warn somebody (to do something): E.g. He warned Billy to keep away from his daughter.
  • Believe somebody/something to be, have, etc. something. E.g.  The vases are believed to be worth over $20000 each.
  • Help somebody (to) do something: E.g.  The college's aim is to help students (to) achieve their aspirations. This charity aims to help people (to) help themselves. Come and help me lift this box.
  • Help (to) do something: E.g. She helped (to) organize the party.
  • Feel somebody/something/yourself do something: E.g. I felt something crawl up my arm. We felt the ground give way under our feet.
  • Notice somebody/something do something: E.g.  I noticed them come in.
  • Envisage: /ɪnˈvɪzɪdʒ/ to imagine what will happen in the future. Imaginarse, prever. E.g. I don't envisage working with him again.
  • Cease to do something: /siːs/ E.g. You never cease to amaze me!
  • Cease doing something: E.g. The company ceased trading in June. 
  • Go on doing something: to continue an activity without stopping. E.g. He said nothing but just went on working.
  • Go on to do something: to do something after completing something else. E.g. The book goes on to describe his experiences in the army. After her early teaching career she went on to become a doctor.
  • Come to do something: to reach a point where you realize, understand or believe something. E.g. In time she came to love him. She had come to see the problem in a new light. I've come to expect this kind of behaviour from him.
  • Come doing something (+ adv.preposition): to move in a particular way or while doing something else. E.g. The children came running into the room.
  • Catch somebody doing something: I caught her smoking in the bathroom. You wouldn't catch me working (= I would never work) on a Sunday!
  • Discover somebody/something doing something: E.g.  He was discovered hiding in a shed.
  • Observe somebody/something do something: E.g. The police observed a man enter the bank. 
  • Observe somebody/something doing something: E.g.  They observed him entering the bank.
  • Face doing something: if you can't face something unpleasant, you feel unable or unwilling to deal with it. E.g. I can't face seeing them.
Corpus spot
KEY
a helped her find/to find



b spend so much time trying



c I suggest you use
  • Plaster: material that can be stuck to the skin to protect a small wound or cut; a piece of this. (Also) Sticking Plaster, Band-Aid™. 

d are worth seeing 



e we enjoy ourselves laughing 



f enable me to read



g let them enjoy



h I missed talking



i I convinced him to apply to



j You aren't allowed to come 
Ex 2
a I mean to = I intend to



b It will mean= It will involve



c We regret to inform you = We are sorry to have to tell you



d I regret wearing = I wish I hadn't worn



e The first thing that happened is the walk, now I remember it.



f First remember, then buy the milk.



g First not forget, then post the letter.



h First meeting boyfriend, then not forgetting.



i Try to = Make an attempt



j Try doing = Experiment with



k First he talks about one subject, the another



l goes on talking = continues talking


m After a period of time he accepted this (came to accept)



n A way of moving, describing the action (came rushing)



o I heard Muse once (to hear Muse sing)



p I heard them regularly (heard the birds singing)
  • Stiletto (heel): a woman's shoe with a very high narrow heel; the heel on such a shoe. 
Ex 3
KEY
a I don't object to your leaving early.



b Do they allow you to smoke outside your office entrance? 



c It's not worth asking her out, she's always busy. 



d My father forbade my sister to go / from going to the club in town. 



e Book early and you will avoid having to queue/  to avoid having to queue.



f His doctor recommended that he do/ doing more exercise.



g Don't worry, I promise to post that letter for you.



h I suggest we take our bikes with us./ I suggest taking our bikes with us.



i You had better move your car immediately or else I'll call the police.



j Peter denied causing/ having caused the accident.



k His mother made him apologise. 

  • Object: /əbˈdʒekt/ to say that you disagree with, disapprove of or oppose something. Object to doing something/to somebody doing something: E.g. I really object to being charged for parking.
  • Forbid: /fəˈbɪd/ forbade /fəˈbæd/ /fəˈbeɪd/ forbidden /fəˈbɪdn/: forbid somebody to do something E.g. You are all forbidden to leave.
  • Recommend somebody to do something: E.g. We'd recommend you to book your flight early. 
  • Or else: if not. Otherwise. E.g. Hurry up or else you'll be late. They can't be coming or else they'd have called. 
 


  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.