Objective Proficiency p 36. An Obsession with Food. Extra Poem

I think I have an obsession with food
I suppose it all depends on my mood.
I eat when I'm hungry, happy and glad
But I also eat when I'm down, depressed or sad.
Food is one of life's greatest pleasures
So I try not to worry about what my waist measures.
Instead I indulge in doing what I like best
Eating with delight, enthusiasm and zest.
Mouth-watering pizzas with lashings of cheese
Slide down my throat with the utmost ease.
Creamy pasta dishes, accompanied by a fine glass of wine
Don't you think it sounds simply divine?
Fresh crusty bread with heavenly butter
Makes my heart go all of a flutter.
Who can resist a tart apple pie?
I know I can't, although I do try.
My favourite dessert is home-made chocolate cake
It's something that I very often bake.
Unfortunately the exquisite taste of the sticky gooey mix
Has given me the need for a daily fix.
But let's just look forward to the next meal.
After all, if we have a little excess weight, it's no big deal!

- Junie Keegan-

Vocabulary
Indulge: /ɪnˈdʌldʒ/ to allow yourself to have or do something that you like, especially something that is considered bad for you. E.g. indulge in something They went into town to indulge in some serious shopping. She has never been one to indulge in gossip. Indulge yourself (with something) I indulged myself with a long hot bath.
Zest: /zest/ zest (for something) enjoyment and enthusiasm. Appetite. E.g. He had a great zest for life. She danced with the zest of a twenty-year-old.
Mouth-watering: mouth-watering food looks or smells so good that you want to eat it immediately. Tempting. E.g. a mouth-watering display of cakes. (Figurative) mouth-watering travel brochures.
Lashings: /ˈlæʃɪŋz/ a large amount of something, especially of food and drink. E.g. a bowl of strawberries with lashings of cream
Utmost: /ˈʌtməʊst/ greatest; most extreme. E.g. This is a matter of the utmost importance. You should study this document with the utmost care.
Ease: / iːz/ lack of difficulty. E.g. He passed the exam with ease.
Crusty: /ˈkrʌsti/ (of food) having a hard outer layer. E.g. fresh crusty bread.
Heavenly: very pleasant. Wonderful. E.g. a heavenly morning/ feeling. E.g. This place is heavenly.
Flutter: /ˈflʌtə(r)/ (of your heart, etc.) to beat very quickly and not regularly. E.g. I could feel a fluttering pulse. (Figurative) The sound of his voice in the hall made her heart flutter. (Figurative) He felt his stomach flutter (= he felt nervous) when they called his name.
Tart: /tɑːt/ sharp or acid in taste. E.g. a tart apple.  
Exquisite: /ɪkˈskwɪzɪt/ /ˈekskwɪzɪt/  
Gooey: /ˈɡuːi/ soft and sticky. E.g. a gooey mess. Gooey cakes. A gooey chocolate dessert.
Fix: an amount of something that you need and want frequently, especially an illegal drug such as heroin. An experience of something from which one derives great pleasure or stimulation. E.g. to get yourself a fix. I need a fix of coffee before I can face the day. Get your coffee fix at home with this state-of-the-art espresso-maker.

Now it's your turn to write one.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.